The key difference between today and Internet commerce in the late 1990s is, in a word: infrastructure. That means now there are simply more new types of online services, technologies, and marketplaces that make it far easier for the average person to start an e-commerce business. Just think of all the things that didn’t exist when e-commerce first began: blogs, pod casts, search engine marketing, WiFi, RSS feeds, social networking, and the list goes on.
Here’s a quick survey of some of the latest trends driving this hotbed of e-commerce today:
- Vast Online Marketplaces - eBay, Amazon, Overstock, and other online auction sites have spawned millions of businesses—from the home-based, do-it-yourselfers (DIY) to larger enterprises—buying and selling everything imaginable. These sites make it easy to learn the ups and downs of e-commerce with less risk.
- Turnkey E-Commerce Solutions - Now online sellers can sign up with robust e-commerce platforms or services to help them configure and operate online stores, handle shopping cart transactions, credit card processing, and publicize your site on multiple online marketplaces.
- Safe Electronic Payment Services - One of the pitfalls of early e-commerce was the specter of online fraud and spotty payment methods. PayPal and other electronic payment services have paved the way for safe, painless online transactions.
- Search Engine Marketing - By placing ads for your online business with popular search engines and choosing key words or phrases that match with your products or services, you can drive more traffic to your site and dramatically increase revenue. You can also sign up for affiliate marketing programs on popular sites that steer shoppers to products and get fees.
- Web Site Traffic Reports - This may sound complicated, but it’s really using simple (and free) tools to see how many visitors come to your site monthly, get a handle on what they’re buying (or not), and which search terms they’re using to find your site.
In addition to these trends, online sellers today are using other new tools like blogs, social media (LinkedIn, MySpace, Face book), and photo sharing (Flickr) to reach out and connect with potential customers all over the world.
Other benefits of e-commerce include:
- Increased sales
- Access to new sales channels
- Better brand awareness
- Increased efficiency with new technology
- New partnership and cross-selling opportunities
- Optimization of merchandise
- Instant customer feedback
- Happier customers
So what are you waiting for? Get started…
Tags: benefits of e-Commerce, e commerce impact, e commerce industry trends, e commerce trend, e-Commerce Industry, eCommerce today, ecommerce trends, Internet commerce, Safe Electronic Payment, Search Engine Marketing Bangalore, social media promotions, trends e commerce, trends in e commerce, Turnkey E-Commerce Solutions, Vast Online Marketplaces, web marketing information bangalore, Web Site Traffic Reports, why e-Commerce
« previous postKey Practices in eCommerce
Important Tips and Tricks in E-Commerce Do's: Treat your online business as your...
next post »Best Approches to SEO Strategi....
One of the ways search engines determine site ranking is to sort through your online conte...
Leave a Reply
No trackbacks yet.
Posts with similar tags
- Order Online and Pick in store – A starting point for Indian retailers to start e Commerce
Is the Indian consumers still not matured for e Commerce and m Commerce retailing ? Well, the debate continues as the more traditional players still have a mindset that the Indian consumer is not ready but the people in second school of thought, believes they are ready. It is definitely true to a certain extent,...
Posts in similar categories
- The hybris hubris
“Dreams of innocence are just that; they usually depend on a denial of reality that can be its own form of hubris.” - Michael Pollen You can check any linked in groups, forums, blogs, articles, reports associated with e-commerce. All of them have one common thing to discuss. IS HYBRIS THE BEST THING WHICH HAS EVER...
- Contextual targeting in e-commerce
Online retailers all over the world are facing a very common but really serious problem of high dropout rates across their websites. It has been observed that this issue is the precursor of many other serious issues such as loss in sales, low customer loyalty, loss in brand identity and many more. However, there are...
- Is Content really the king? Tips to generate quality content for your e-commerce website.
We have heard experts emphasizing about the importance of quality content. ‘Content is the king’, this catch phrase has often captured our attention. But have we seriously given this statement a real good thought?Is content really the king, especially in the context of e-commerce? Will bombarding an e-commerce site with videos and images increase your...
- AB Testing basics
Introduction Online retailers spend a lot of money on getting their website up and running. A major portion of their investment is directed towards increasing the traffic of their websites or the conversion rate. A/B testing or split testing is one tool by which these retailers can pin point which elements are to be displayed in...
- 7 steps for delivering successful promotions
One of key reasons behind the success or failure of any retailer is promotions. It doesn’t matter if the retailer is present online or not, he needs promotions to meet a variety of objectives. There are many kinds of promotions, each fulfill different purpose and each have their own pros and cons. Therefore, it...
- Advantages of using Magento Go payment services
Payment options play a crucial role in every kind of e-business solutions by facilitating online transactions. Since security concerns are one of the major factors which deter online users from using websites, the importance of payment options becomes all the more important, so much so that it can make or break any e-commerce site. Over...
- Process of Developing an eCommerce Web Site
Probably we had visited many popular eCommerce websites all the time, like Amazon, Overstock and Ebay, but you never knew exactly how they came to be. It's actually pretty straightforward once you know what you're doing. You can set up your own eCommerce web site with products for sale to the world in a matter...
- In Australia, Eight Out of 10 Users Connect with Brands on Social
Consumers have limits on what they want to see from brands on social networks This year more than half of the population in Australia—11.4 million people—will be social network users, according to eMarketer estimates. Among that social population, there is a fair bit of familiarity with brand social activity. According to a December 2012 survey from...
- E-commerce Platform Wars
A war has been raging for years and it has captured the minds of many. This war known as e- commerce platform wars has become more intense lately. Top consulting companies like Gartner and Forrester have written reports and blogs about this war. The dynamics of this war has changed over the years. Surprisingly, Microsoft was...
- Magento Used on 20% of E-Commerce Sites
A survey of e-commerce sites in the Alexa top million websites has found that, as of the first quarter of 2012, Magento is by far the most popular e-commerce solution. Alexa Internet Inc. tracks the web use of millions of internet users and gathers information about the sites they visit. A recent analysis of their database...
About Smart e-Commerce
Smart e-Commerce is the Blog from Embitel Technologies which provides the latest e-commerce trends, strategies, e-Retail Solutions, Magento solution, Social Media Optimization, Blog Marketing, Online Seminars, Search Engine Optimization, Google Rankings and e-Marketing Solutions in India, America, Middle East, Australia, South Africa & South America.
The hybris hubris
“Dreams of innocence are just that; they usually depend on a denial of reality that can be its own form of hubris.” - Michael Pollen You ...
Contextual targeting in e-commerce
Online retailers all over the world are facing a very common but really serious problem of high dropout rates across their websites. I...
Is Content really the king? Tips to generate quality content for your e-commerce website.
We have heard experts emphasizing about the importance of quality content. ‘Content is the king’, this catch phrase has often captured our...
AB Testing basics
Introduction Online retailers spend a lot of money on getting their website up and running. A major portion of their investment is directed towards i...
Adword keyword tool was replaced with Keyword estimator
With Keyword Planner, we've combined the functionality of Keyword Tool and Traffic Estimator to make it easier to plan search campaigns. That's why ...